Promote Consistency and Governance Across Your API Program with New API Style Guide Features in Stoplight Platform
The #1 goal of API Governance is consistency.
The larger an organization becomes the more APIs they will build and consume, and the more likely they are to want to create a cohesive platform.
“The API economy is booming and more and more companies are launching API-first platforms rather than products. With that comes the need to design an API that is consistent, reliable, well-documented, and easy to understand.” Source: Product Coalition
Because organizations use internal and third-party APIs with ownership sometimes distributed across multiple teams, it is important to establish a key set of rules. This is called an API Style Guide.
Following the rules in a style guide will make your API designs more reliable, prevent duplicate code, improve developer experience, and speed up time to market with overall better-quality APIs.
But the big question is: how do you create a style guide that works?
And how do you ensure your API program is consistent? A lot of people talk about the necessity, but few tools truly address the issue in a streamlined, easy-to-consume way.
That’s why we’re working to make consistency and governance easier with our roll-out of the first version of Style Guide Projects.
Easily create, share, enable, and apply standards across all of your API Designs to provide consistency, reusability, and better governance throughout your API Program.
Integrate error and validation checks directly into your API design workflow. Implement best practices or custom style guides across projects, business units, or workspace groups.
- Create Custom Rules or Enable Stoplight Best Practices
- Publish Your Style Guide & Share Documentation
- Easily Add Style Guides to Any Project
- See Errors and Warnings Directly in Stoplight Studio
- Manage and Update Style Guides
- Display When Style Guides are Updated
With this new feature, enable your team to:
- Produce higher quality API designs with more consistency
- Govern your API program at scale
- Pass quality and security reviews more easily
- Create a consistent, integrated Developer Experience
- Get your API to market faster, better
Try out Style Guide Projects in all-new Workspaces. Full features including sharing and enabling Style Guides across your Workspace and API Projects are available in Pro and Enterprise Plans.